To sit at a table and eat and drink something good, to exchange some scintillating thoughts in a pleasant company, this is simply what a man deserves. And the richness of the table is not just what is on the table, above all it is in the people who sit around it.
The ponds used to be owned by the castle in the 13th century and they filled the moats around the town walls with water. Embellishment Society in Maribor planted the first trees in the park in the years 1869 and 1872. In the year 1927, the town community replaced the ramshackle, wooden boathouse with a beautiful pavilion with cloakrooms and a terrace. With a restaurant nearby (since 1825) the tourist offer for visitors increased. In the year 1952, the Society established an aquarium in the building which used to house the Park Café. In the year 1952, a promenade was also opened and it ends at the former boathouse and the Restaurant by the Three Ponds. Today there are about 130 species of native and foreign deciduous and many coniferous trees in the City Park. Almost a quarter of the trees originate from the time of the first planting in the year 1869. In the year 1998, on the occasion of the 100th birthday of Maribor's Olympic champion Leon Štukelj, one hundred new trees were planted in the park.
The restaurant was already mentioned in 1825. In the early 20th century a summer garden was created where the contours have been preserved until today. There used to be a stable near the restaurant, the evidence is the horseshoe built into the ground at the entrance. Wine cellar has been at its current location and is beautifully preserved. Bread oven provides the smell of freshly baked bread, warmth and a sense of familiarity. It is still so today. The restaurant was also called “Kliček” after the last owner. This name has been preserved until today.